Tuesday, January 23, 2007

gimme a break pete

Here's how things went down. First I was talking to Mom and she told me to check out a couple verses in 1 Peter. So I sit down in Starbucks, open my Bible, and flip to 1 Peter. As soon as I start reading I get a text message from KimS asking me if I've read 1 Peter recently. So, I'm thinking God really wanted me and Peter to have a chat.

Here are some of the "screamers".


4:8-10 Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms.


3:8-12 Finally, all of you, live in harmony with one another; be sympathetic, love as brothers, be compassionate and humble. Do not repay evil with evil or insult with insult, but with blessing, because to this you were called so that you may inherit a blessing. For,
"Whoever would love life
and see good days
must keep his tongue from evil
and his lips from deceitful speech.
He must turn from evil and do good;
he must seek peace and pursue it.
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous
and his ears are attentive to their prayer,
but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil."


1:22&23 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart. For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.


2:15&17 For it is God's will that by doing good you should silence the ignorant talk of foolish men...show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.


Those passages zinged a little. Especially in regard to one roommate in particular. But then these were also helpful for life right now.


1:6-7
...you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.


2:20 ...if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.


4:12&13 Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.


This faith that I'm wrapped up in is contrary to the world in so many ways. When I'm in the midst of something hard I'm supposed to stay there, and rejoice no less. Painful trials are just a part of this life I've chosen.


Had a really good conversation with my Ashley about how we've chosen a tough path. That we ask for challenges but then want out when they come. It's an interesting way to live life. I want to be content whatever the circumstances. And I want to be joyful always. But I'm really glad that God is patient with me.


...good times gonna come...good times gonna come...


I probably have more to update about but that's it for now. Work to do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the closest to God you're going to get.

But just kidding times infinity.

I had a delicious waffle today but it was nothing like our every Sunday morning waffles in our usual booth.

I love and miss you.

laurannyoung said...

i'd give just about anything to be able to get a waffle with your every sunday.

i miss you.

<3 u.