Wednesday, March 21, 2007

out with the old in with the new

Colossians 3:5-8 & 12-14

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips...Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

To Have Not

Sexual Immorality
Impurity
Lust
Evil Desires and Greed
Anger and Rage
Malice
Slander
Filthy Language

To Have

Holiness
Compassion
Kindness
Humility
Gentleness
Patience
Forgiveness
Love
No wonder it's so hard to do all the good things when I'm still participating in so many of the sinful things. If I pray that my love will increase but I don't take the time to deal with the bitterness that has taken root in my heart, where is the love going to grow.
Often I don't focus on the sin in my life, instead I focus on the goodness I'm trying to attain. In reality I am a sinful person. I can't forget that. There is sin that needs to be reckoned with before these virtues will have the opportunity to increase.
So, I must start with the sin that so easily entangles. Somehow I need to constantly be reminded of this. I know I'll forget. Before I ask that God would grow me in the area of kindness I need to make sure I pray against any malice that I have, or the slander that so easily comes.
Good thing God's word is living and active eh?
In other news, sometimes when you share your opinion with others, it makes them upset. It's confusing at times. Is it because I said something wrong ... or something right?
Either way, I have a craving for a protein bar. I've been liking those a lot recently.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I usually like things that taste like chalk too.

Today I was in the bathroom and the wall said "Laura Not Nice Young" Do you know what that means?

Anyway, I think you're smart and great and I love you.

laurannyoung said...

wanna come hangout on Sunday? I've got some free time in the afternoon. but only like an hour. oh well ... see you then then!