Friday, August 08, 2008

it's been awhile ...

I've been getting into the writing mood again. maybe it's the change in the weather ... I can taste fall in the air. Autumn has a way of making me a philosopher ... even if just for a short time. although I will admit I hardly ever have anything of real significance to say, my thoughts are deeper. things seem clearer. individuals come alive as books to be read ... novels to be explored.

the other day I had an encounter that broke my heart and made me realize how little I know about the pain that people feel. it was a simple question, though thinking back I may have put a little too much emotion into it. I simply asked a woman how she was doing. she seemed down and out which was a dramatic change from the usual pep in her step. the response I got knocked me over. she looked at me with tears welling in her eyes and told me that the funeral was over. not in a million years had I expected that sort of a response. she then began to tell me that it had been so much harder than she thought to bury her father. as tears began rolling down her cheeks I found that I could not contain the ones that had been on the brim of my eyelids. her heart was broken. mine broke for her. I had asked a simple question expecting a simple response and what I was met with connected me into her world of fear and loneliness. I found that I had nothing to say ... a few words stumbled out of my mouth ... I think I told her she was a strong woman. more tears came. I wish there was something more I could have done ... but I'm not quick enough or perhaps I'm not brave enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I happen to be just reading stuff ......... and came across this ..... you ask the question as so many do always expecting something good to come from the other ...... surprise , I will say as I too have lost my father a good man ... you were there to share a tear and words were proabaly not necesary ...
so simply asking , may not be so simple !!!!!!