Saturday, May 17, 2008

cup o' mojo

"Life at its very best is a passionate experience, not a doctoral dissertation. The problem is not that Christianity can't be believed, but that it can't be practiced because of its lack of lived experience. And it can't be observed by others because there are too few Christians who are radical enough to manifest what the gospel really looks like." - Leonard Sweet from The Gospel According to Starbucks

I have a sneaky feeling that I am going to like this book a lot. My coworker suggested it to me the other day. She said it isn't so much about religion as it is about spirituality. Right up my alley. Religion turns me off. In fact I kinda get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach when I think about it. But spirituality is something that still has the ability to excite me. And yes I do believe there's a difference.

So far what Leonard Sweet is saying is that there are few who are really inhabiting the intended role of 'Christians'. I echo that sentiment my friend.

Oh Starbucks, who woulda thought that you would show me more of what it means to live like Christ than the American church?

2 comments:

Mo said...

You know, very recently, religion has turned me off as well. That sounds like a good book, maybe I'll pick it up.

mle said...

It was lovely hanging out with you last night. I hope to see you again real soon. =0)