Sunday, April 27, 2008

sundays

When Jesus said that Sunday's were to be a day of rest did that imply groups of well dressed do-gooders being gathered together under one roof and wowing each other with their holiness? I don't think so. But what do I know?

Well here's what I know... most days my priorities are way screwed up. I get frustrated at things that in a day won't matter. My patience can be relatively non existent. Cynicism is usually my reality because I've found it to be accurate more often than not. Stress seems to overtake most of my thoughts making sleep hard to come by and caffeine a necessity. I'm selfish and rude and can hardly stand myself most days. This paragraph ended up very different than I had originally intended but I guess the things I know aren't very glorious. The me that has taken the place of the person I used to be isn't too great to be around. Why am I surprised that friends are few and far between ... I shouldn't be. I'm quite the pill.


What I had begun to say was that I know certain things about faith and God. The more I question the less I seem to know. But that's where faith comes in I guess. Remember Sunday school teachers and parents telling you that "faith is believing in what you can't see". (Though now I realize that they gave us a foundation to build our boogie monster theories upon.) More accurately faith is choosing to make decisions based on what you believe, whether or not there is evidence to support those beliefs. And believing in God is so much more than acknowledging that there's a higher power out there. When you believe in something your actions show that. Say for example you believe that having a healthy lifestyle is the right thing to do and yet you eat junk food and sit on your couch all day. That means you don't really believe. Same with God. If you really truly believe He exists and believe that Jesus was his son who died after introducing us to a new way of life ... well then your life will be different.

Whoever said "it's what's inside that counts" is full of it. That's a cop-out. True it matters ... but if what's supposedly inside isn't evident on the outside then isn't it pointless. Like if I truly want to love my co-workers and then treat them poorly, my good intentions are like the local news, good to know about but who really cares?

I'm a hypocrite and I know it.

1 comment:

mle said...

"The more I question the less I seem to know. But that's where faith comes in I guess."

Amen sister.